VoiceThread for Students
What is this tool?
VoiceThread (VT) is a web-based, interactive collaboration tool that allows users to compile a variety of media such as images, videos, audio clips, presentations, and documents into a single space for discussions. With VoiceThread, conversations may take place synchronously or asynchronously through contributed comments with microphone, text, webcam video, telephone, or uploaded audio/video files. Think of VoiceThread as bringing the in-person classroom discussion to a virtual space!
At the University of Arizona, VoiceThread is integrated with Brightspace (D2L). You may choose to access the tool through your D2L course site (recommended for class use), or outside D2L through the UA's VoiceThread site (arizona.voicethread.com).
VoiceThread is available for use in all The University of Arizona courses through the D2L course site or through the UA's VoiceThread site (arizona.voicethread.com) with UA credentials.
There are a couple of ways to access VT. It is recommended that you use the first options if this is your first time accessing VT with a course.
- Go to your D2L course site.
- Then your “Contents” page and click on the VT link that your professor provided.
- Or go to “UA Tools” in the top navigation bar and click on “VoiceThread” from the drop-down menu.
- Go directly to UA's VoiceThread space (at arizona.voicethread.com/), and log in with your UA credentials.
VoiceThread values ownership
All VoiceThread content is owned by the individual who created it. An individual can determine who can access their VT through sharing and engaging in conversation through comment moderation. VoiceThreads are private by default and must be shared to be viewed by any others or group.
In order for your instructor or classmates to view your VoiceThreads, you must choose to share it with them (more about sharing below).
Here is a link to an introduction video about the basics of VoiceThread.
Creating a VoiceThread
The best way to learn about VoiceThread is to try it out! To create a VoiceThread
- Go to to the VT platform (either through your D2L course site or the UA VT site (http://arizona.voicethread.com/). This will take you to your VT Homepage
- From the top navigation bar, select the "Create" button
- Add any media of your choice
- Select playback and threaded commenting options
- Add your own comments to the media ()
- And once ready, share your VT!
Editing a VoiceThread
Once you have created a VoiceThread, you can always add/take out slides and add/take out comments. You cannot directly make changes to individual slides in VoiceThread.
Check out the video on how to make edits to VoiceThread.
Because of the value VoiceThread places on ownership of content, each VT must be shared before it is accessible by anyone other than the creator. VTs can be shared a handful of ways:
- Share with a group - only members of this group may access the content
- Share with an individual - only individual may access content
- Share with an open URL - anyone with the link may access the content
- Unshare - revoke access to a VoiceThread
For a video on how to share a VoiceThread, check out the link.
VoiceThread has a free mobile application (app) that can be found on the Google Play Store or iTunes. When you first access VT through the mobile application, you must have the setting to be Arizona.voicethread.com in order to access your VT personal and course content. Please refer to the following document change the setting.
Click here for more information and support for mobile app usage.
Link to a How-To guide to change the settings to access the Course and personal VTs.
VoiceThread Universal allows for an easier usage with screen readers. If you would like to use a screen reader with VoiceThread, please remember to change the setting on your VoiceThread to be VoiceThread Universal (refer below).
For more information about VT Universal, check out the following link.